Saturday, February 14, 2009

What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

A few days ago I watched "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" The film was absolutely amazing and it will forever remain embedded in my brain. It's sorta hard to watch because Jane Hudson "Baby Jane" is such a bitch to her sister Blanche and tortures the hell out of her.

The film begins in 1917 when Baby Jane is on stage with her daddy performing a cutesy song for a packed house. Baby Jane reminds me of Shirley Temple, but evil! She is totally demanding even though she is probably seven years old and the most spoiled little girl (she makes a scene in front of her fans when her dad refuses to get her an ice cream cone). Blanche, Jane's sister watches on the sidelines with their mother and promises to take vengance on little Baby Jane because she's annoyed of her fame and antics.

The film then jumps to a car accident scene where Blanche ends up paralyzed, talk about revenge! The sisters grow up, never marry and become roommates in a huge Hollywood mansion. Jane becomes the primary caretaker of Blanche and she is bitter to the core. She snaps when she finds out that Blanche is going to sell their house because they are running out of money and goes on a rampage to make Blanche's life a living hell!

The talented and beautiful Bette Davis plays a scary Jane Hudson and Blanche is played by no other than Joan Crawford. I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this film not only because of the story, but because these two ladies where in it. Talk about power team! "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" is directed by Robert Aldrich in 1962.

Mad woman Jane!

"You will never leave this house ever again!"

Yes, that was a bitch slap

"Maybe if I wear my old Baby Jane dress I can relive my glory days!"

"I'm going to kidnap you now that I beat the shit out of you and starved you dear sister!"

No comments:

Post a Comment