Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A New Tradition

Happy Cinco de Mayo!  I wouldn't be all giddy about it a year ago because even though I'm Mexican  my family never celebrates this day.  You see, this holiday is celebrated here in the states, but not in Mexico (where we were born).  The date marks the anniversary of the Battle of Puebla, when Mexico beat the French resistance under Napoleon.  Being the "hard-core" Mexican that I am I never bought into the holiday because frankly it's kinda random.  Why not go all out on September 16th, the date of the Mexican Independence instead?  Yesterday I was doing a little reading about the holiday and I realized that Mexicans here in the states (mainly in CA) celebrate it for patriotism.  Apparently Mexican Americans began celebrating Cinco de Mayo in the 1860's to begin a tradition in the new country.  I'm all about preserving tradition so this year marks the date when I will begin remembering this holiday.  Let the party begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment