Sunday, June 7, 2009

BFD 2009 Recap: It was HAWT

It's taken half the day to recuperate from yesterday's BFD, but alas I'm starting to feel like my old self again- minus the ringing ears and sore throat.  The Subsonic Tent was the shit.  I got to catch the following acts: Steve Aoki, Zion-I, Mike Realm, Designer Drugs, DJ Am and Crystal Castles. Not bad for $25, but even better FREE :)  My top favorite act was surprisingly DJ AM, seriously.  To be honest I had never heard his music prior to the festival because I totally prejudged him.  I thought, DJ AM who the hell cares if he dated Nicole Ritchie and became super popular deejaying some Hollywood parties- he probably just turns on his ipod and presses play. The cool part about DJ AM is that he mixes well and he mixes: System of a Down, Biggie Smalls, the Killers, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Jay Z and probably stuff you've danced to at Popscene about a million times and makes it work.  It's difficult to mix music from different genres in one set- metal, indie rock, electronic, 80's and hip hop and he was able to do it in a manner that flowed really smoothly and it fit like a size 4 after starving for a month. Now, you may say, well he is like every other LA deejay in the sense that he just mixes and shouts into the microphone to get the party pumped up, except for the fact that he can SCRATCH.  I seriously thought I was at a hip hop show for a second, but then I heard "I see a little silhouetto of a man/Scaramouche,scaramouche will you do the fandango/Thunderbolt and lightning-very very frightening me/Galileo, Galileo/Galileo galileo/Galileo figaro-magnifico" and remembered that I was in a super packed tent with hundreds of hipsters and PLUR kids (yes, really I saw some neon and fuzzy boots) dancing like a robots.

photo via djam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment